Your task for this is to interview one mother AND one father to ask them about their experience preparing for the birth of their first child. Please note that you do not need to interview a couple, although you can (in other words, these can be unrelated individuals who are parents to different children, or they can be a couple). Spend about 1/2 an hour interviewing each one VIRTUALLY, either by phone or via video, asking the following questions:
1. What was your reaction when you found out you were going to be a parent?
2. Did you have any concerns, fears, or worries about you, your partner, or the baby?
3. How did your feelings change over the period of pregnancy?
4. Did you participate in any formal preparation for childbirth or parenting, such as Lamaze or parenting classes?
5. Tell me about the day your child was born.
6. How was the first month of parenting? Did you feel were you were prepared, or were there surprises?
7. What advice would you give to expectant parents?
Please take notes during your interview. When your is complete, write up a summary of the answers given for each question by each parent.
After the summary is complete, write a 2 to 3 page reflection on what you have learned from the interview, incorporating ideas, concepts and quotes from the text. Make sure to address how you believe the experience of these parents might affect/have affected the social and emotional of their children in at least one paragraph.