Psy 231 Assignment 9 SFBT & Narrative Therapy
Watch the Gwen & Stan SFBT and Narrative Therapy videos on MindTap, and respond to the following 9 questions:
Solution-Focused Brief Therapy Applied to the Case of Gwen & Stan
- What did the therapist do that did to create a strong working alliance with Gwen? Describe.
- What did the therapist do to help Gwen determine ways to move forward with her problem in the SFBT video? Describe.
- Stan said,“ I am always down on myself and feeling hopeless”. The therapist asked if there are any exceptions to feeling hopeless. What ways was this effective or ineffective and why?
- If you were a client, how would it be for you to think of exceptions to one of your presenting problems?
- What value do you see in the miracle question? In what situations would you want to use this technique with a client?
- What are your thoughts about the scaling technique that involved Stan being asked to rate a change in a particular behavior on a scale from zero to 10?
- What specific aspects of solution-focused brief therapy would you most like to incorporate into your style of counseling and why?
Narrative Therapy Applied to the Case of Stan
- What did you notice when Stan talked about changes he would make in his life when comparing it to the process of remodeling a house? Describe.
- What do you think of the technique of asking Stan to detach himself from his problem? How might you help Stan to construct a new story as opposed to a problem-saturated story?