Unit 2 Assignment
Unit 2 Assignment Directions
Choose one prescription drug that has a generic available (the pharmacy MUST sell both the generic and the brand of the chosen drug) and one over-the-counter (OTC) drug you would be likely to recommend to patients. Next locate one pharmacy from each of the four different types listed below:
1. Large chain pharmacies such as Walgreens, CVS, Eckard’s, etc.
2. Grocery store associate pharmacies such as Publix, Kroger, etc.
3. Privately owned local pharmacy
4. Pharmacy associated with a “big box” store such as Target, Walmart, etc.
Do not use any drugs on the pharmacy’s four dollar or other special price list. If the pharmacy has a “club card,” coupons or other special way of getting lower cost, do not use this cost. The cost you are examining is the “cash price” for uninsured patients.
Compare the cash cost of the brand and the generic of the prescription drug, and the OTC drug brand and generic making sure that the dose (milligrams, micrograms, etc.), form (caps, tablets, etc.), and number of pills are the same. (Example: Synthroid .05 milligrams and levothyroxine .05 milligrams, prescription for 30 pills. Tylenol 500 mg. and Acetaminophen 500mg, 100 gel caps.)
Include the city and state of the pharmacies.
The assignment can be in any form you choose including narrative, table, etc. No cover page or reference page is required. Here is a sample table:
Cash Price at Pharmacy A
Address Cash Price at Pharmacy B
Address Cash Price at Pharmacy C
Address Cash Price at Pharmacy D
Brand name Rx
To view the Grading Rubric for this Assignment, please visit the Grading Rubrics submodule under Course Resources.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
• Read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above); and consult the Grading Rubric (under Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary.
How to Submit: