HCM 4012 Week 4 Assignment 2 Internal Disaster Plan
The purposes of this plan are to:
prevent occurrence entirely or reduce the effects of the incident;
rescue entrapped persons;
prevent injury to patients, visitors and employees;
prevent additional damage to property; and
satisfy all applicable regulatory agencies.
University Policies & Procedures
Internal Disaster Plan 119.40
A major aspect of this plan is for the development of measures that will prevent a disaster caused by fire. The following activities are necessary requirements for successfully preventing the initiation of a fire and to alleviate the effects of its damage.
Annual fire safety training for all employees, with concentrated efforts in areas having high risks.
New employee orientation covering fire safety procedures.
Annual intensive training for employees who are assigned to the Emergency Response Team.
Annual safety seminar for contractors.
Annual familiarization tour of the facilities for local fire companies.
Annual safety audits to be conducted in all buildings.
Frequent testing of all fire alarm systems with immediate correction procedures for deficiencies.
Fire drills in all buildings covering all shifts.
Annual review of fire safety procedures.
Scheduled preventive maintenance for all essential equipment.
Quarterly meetings of the Jefferson Safety Steering Committee and its subcommittees.
Response to fire incidents will be handled by the Philadelphia Fire Department and The Emergency Response Team.
Security: Security will call the Philadelphia Fire Department and give the street address and floor number where the incident is occurring. They will also notify the Emergency Response Team and Facilities Services to assure that everyone is aware of the alarm. Security will meet and direct the Philadelphia Fire Department to the fire location. They will also maintain communications at the fire and direct those not involved in the emergency to evacuate the area. They are authorized to stop others from entering the building in jeopardy.
Facilities Services Control Room: Upon receipt of an alarm, Control Room personnel will dispatch via mobile radio all Emergency Response personnel assigned to the Emergency Response Team to the fire location. They will also notify Security to assure that everyone has received the alarm.
Emergency Response Team: Employees from the Facilities Services, Security, and Environmental Health and Safety Departments staff the Emergency Response Team. They shall immediately upon notification of a fire alarm proceed to the area of the alarm. They should obtain fire extinguishers as they approach the area in jeopardy.
The Emergency Response Team is directed by the University Fire Marshal, Director of Environmental Health and Safety, Director of Facilities Services or the senior team member present.
Discussion Questions (DQ)
• Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
• Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
• One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
• I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
• Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
• In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
• Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
• Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
• Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
• Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
• I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
• I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
• As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
• It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
• For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
• Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
• Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
• Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
• The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
• Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
• If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
• I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
• As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
• Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
o Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
o Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.