Ethics 2019: What You Should Know?
Ethics 2019: What You Should Know?
Deontology:___________________________________________________________________, Kantianism_____________________________________________________________________, virtue ethics____________________________________________________________________, compassion____________________________________________________________________, discernment____________________________________________________________________, trustworthiness_________________________________________________________________, integrity_______________________________________________________________________, and particularism________________________________________________________________.
1. What are focal virtues?___________________________________________________________
2. What are values?________________________________________________________________ How are they acquired and clarified?________________________________________________
3. Why is self-awareness important in professional nursing?________________________________
4. What is the difference between overt and covert values?_______________________________
5. Define these terms as they relate to nursing: autonomy_________________________________, informed consent_______________________________________________________________, paternalism_____________________________________________________________________ beneficence____________________________________________________________________ prevent harm___________________________________________________________________, remove evil or harm_____________________________________________________________, Nonmaleficence_________________________________________________________________, veracity, _______________________________________________________________________
use of material rules_____________________________________________________________,
6. How can moral distress impact nursing practice?_______________________________________
B. What You Should Know
*Instructions: Complete this document either in Word or manually (and scanned) and place in the appropriate drop-box before the start of class (ex. If your class begins at 12:00 pm, submit no later than 11:59). This must be completed in its entirety to receive the allotted participation points. All of this information is found in the Power Point presentations and assigned readings. You must be prepared to discuss this information during the synchronous class session. Format your submission: LastnameFirstinitial_Class2_WYSK.doc or .pdf
Week 1, Class 2: What you should know…
1. Where are values learned__________________________________________________?
2. How many levels are in Kohlberg’s Theory of Moral Development?________. Name and define them______________________________________________________________
3. How many stages are in the theory?_______ What are they called? _________________
4. What is an androgenic study? What is the significance of this topic to us?____________
5. What is the underlying premise for Gilligan’s study of the Psychological Development of Women?________________________________________________________________
6. How many phases are in Gilligan’s theory? _____What are they called?______________
7. What is Fowler’s definition of faith? __________________________________________
8. What are the stages of Fowler’s Theory of Faith Development?_____________________
9. Why should nurses be spiritually & culturally sensitive in their practice?______________
10. Define wholistic health care_________________________________________________
11. Define spiritual care_______________________________________________________
12. Define American individualism_______________________________________________
13. How can a nurse’s faith & spiritual health impact their practice?____________________
14. What is complementary medicine?___________________________________________
15. Name some cultural healthcare treatments______
You must proofread your paper. But do not strictly rely on your computer’s spell-checker and grammar-checker; failure to do so indicates a lack of effort on your part and you can expect your grade to suffer accordingly. Papers with numerous misspelled words and grammatical mistakes will be penalized. Read over your paper – in silence and then aloud – before handing it in and make corrections as necessary. Often it is advantageous to have a friend proofread your paper for obvious errors. Handwritten corrections are preferable to uncorrected mistakes.
Use a standard 10 to 12 point (10 to 12 characters per inch) typeface. Smaller or compressed type and papers with small margins or single-spacing are hard to read. It is better to let your essay run over the recommended number of pages than to try to compress it into fewer pages.
Likewise, large type, large margins, large indentations, triple-spacing, increased leading (space between lines), increased kerning (space between letters), and any other such attempts at “padding” to increase the length of a paper are unacceptable, wasteful of trees, and will not fool your professor.
The paper must be neatly formatted, double-spaced with a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides of each page. When submitting hard copy, be sure to use white paper and print out using dark ink. If it is hard to read your essay, it will also be hard to follow your argument.