Post your interpretation of this week’s readings.
For this week’s assignment, write a total of 4 full length pages that address each of the works assigned, as well as each of the questions below:
1. Discuss the shift is style you see in William Carlos Williams’ poetry. Why does it now seem to be such a simple style?
2. How does Williams’ poetry fit the movement of Imagism?
3. Discuss your interpretation of the 5 different sections of Eliot’s Wasteland – I suggest that you let the heading titles help you in defining meaning, for instance the section “Burial of the Dead” means what to you? How do the elements portrayed in this section reflect a “burial of the dead”?
4. How is Eliot’s poem an example of Imagism, perhaps the best example we have?
5. Discuss how Eliot portrays class separation in this poem.
6. Please explain Eliot’s message at the end of the poem – how is it connected to a theme of personal responsibility towards others? How is this theme so important in the era of Modernism?
7. Discuss how Hemingway’s short story fits the era of Modernism?
8. How is the protagonist portrayed? Is he different that characters you have seen before in American literature? If so, why?
9. Discuss the significance of WWI to this work.
10. Discuss how Fitzgerald’s work fits Modernism.
11. Discuss what the character of Judy represents to the protagonist.
12. How is WWI significant to this work?