Module 7 Assignment Description
Recall from the chapter on the central nervous system (CNS) that the general senses detect such stimuli as touch, pain, and temperature. General senses refer to the fact that these receptors are relatively simple and located throughout the body in both the skin and internal organs. The special senses, in contrast, are so named because they convey a specific type of information from specialized sensory organs in discrete locations of the head. For this assignment you will;
- Imagine you are driving or biking on a high-traffic road and you are approaching an intersection with a four-way stop and railroad train track. Additionally, there are three cars in the other lanes of the intersection and visibility is decreased because of foggy weather conditions.
- Describe what special senses you will use to make the determination to safely proceed into the intersection.
- Then, in a detailed summary, explain the pathways for each of the special senses involved.
- Describe the pathways for the special senses not involved in this case and explain why they are not used.
- Describe how the brain interprets information from each of those special senses.
- Describe how the brain sends messages to the body to react to information from these special senses.
This assignment is a recorded presentation of 8 to 12 minutes. You should prepare a slide presentation and record your delivery of the presentation. This PowerPoint® (Microsoft Office) or Impress® (Open Office) presentation should be a minimum of 20 slides, including a title and reference slide, recorded audio and be sure to include a reference slide. You will describe what special senses you will use to make the determination to safely proceed into the intersection.
Your submission should include a minimum of 5 peer-reviewed sources to support any of your perspective. Please review the module’s Signature Assignment Rubric before starting this assignment to ensure that you are meeting all the essential requirements. This presentation is worth 300 points for quality content and presentation.
Length: 8 to 12 minutes, at least 17 slides
Title slide and reference slides in APA style. (at least 2 slides)
Special senses: at least 4 slides
Pathways: at least 2 slides
Not involved senses: at least 4 slides
Brain interpretations: at least 3 slides